Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

OMG WTF 111 Slyck 2.0?

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby TorrentMama » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:45 am

I only have one real grievance. I use Opera & it has a brilliant fit to width feature, since I can't have my browser open to full size at work I just hit fit to width & all of Slyck's contents used to fit right into whatever window size I was using. Now fit to width makes everything on Slyck completely disappear. So now I have to constantly scroll left & right to see everything. :cry:
TorrentMama

Postby Fartingbob » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:56 am

You could always try firefox mama. Its only for your work PC, so not a big deal. I spent 2 years using IE at college!
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby piglets222 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:01 am

and the guides are in no particular order, that i can see... :oops: might be nicer if they are alpabetized :idea:
piglets222

Postby Fartingbob » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:02 am

piglets222 wrote:and the guides are in no particular order, that i can see... :oops: might be nicer if they are alpabetized :idea:

It might be in order of hits for each guide. I know nesgroups and BT are popular guides here, wheras the 1 click clients/networks like ares, gnutella, arent really in need for a guide as much.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Dormant707 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:54 am

Any way we can just click on last post in the topic or click on the topic itself? It is a tad annoying to have to go to the first page and then click on the last page number...
Dormant707

Postby IceCube » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:13 pm

cjules13 wrote:Nice! Great layout and I like the tabs.

This isn't fully Slyck 2.0 though I hope. I'm still looking for some basic features like hiding avatars and signatures.

No, this is just the beginning of things to come. This improvement is just the beginning. Rest assured, compared to this, everyone here will be blown away with things to come :)
IceCube

Postby JunqueMan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:30 pm

IceCube wrote:Rest assured, compared to this, everyone here will be blown away with things to come :)

You're not one of those terrorists guys, mare you? :shock: :lol:

Junque Man
"Pass me another cold Pawtucket Patriot..."
JunqueMan

Postby TorrentMama » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:40 pm

IceCube wrote:No, this is just the beginning of things to come. This improvement is just the beginning. Rest assured, compared to this, everyone here will be blown away with things to come :)

Sounds Fantastic!
TorrentMama

Postby IceCube » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:38 pm

JunqueMan wrote:
IceCube wrote:Rest assured, compared to this, everyone here will be blown away with things to come :)

You're not one of those terrorists guys, mare you? :shock: :lol:

Junque Man

tries to forget what TDO said earlier in the thread :shock:
IceCube

Postby Fartingbob » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:04 pm

Another thing i prefer in the old layout is you cant go directly to the lounge forum, only top 5 threads or forum index.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Fartingbob » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:48 pm

Ok maybe im being picky, but the last posts thing on the homepage is saying nobody has posted in the lounge for over 13,000 days. Seriosuly, i know its quiet some sundays, but that is just shocking. :lol:
PS: thanks for all the work ray and others in rolling out the 2.0! I love slyck and love what you do with the place.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby lenslok » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:52 pm

Prefer the old layout personally but having been accused at work this week of being "stubborn & resistant to change" (the bastards exact words!) I suppose this is an opportunity for me to give something new a go and try to be more open-minded :).
"You know, I think I might come back as a bra." - Eddie, Bottom - 1991
Create Music & Movie maps... Liveplasma
lenslok

Postby JunqueMan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:11 pm

lenslok wrote:but having been accused at work this week of being "stubborn & resistant to change" (the bastards exact words!)

A people person too... :wink: :lol:

Junque Man
JunqueMan

Postby maniac3000 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:20 pm

Looks ok

:D

Nice job. :!:
maniac3000

I dont like to be rude, but......

Postby HalOfBorg » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Uck Ick Yech. Too small font - gotta squint to read the news. Hate it all - please go back to old way.
HalOfBorg

Re: I dont like to be rude, but......

Postby Fartingbob » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:25 pm

HalOfBorg wrote:Uck Ick Yech. Too small font - gotta squint to read the news. Hate it all - please go back to old way.

If you have to squint to read that, you really should change your resolution, or just Ctrl++ to make all the fonts bigger.
And anyway, as it is the only small parts that may be dificult to read are the headlines in green, and still, thats a few words max and then click a link.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby lordfoul » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:31 am

SlyckTom wrote:Hehe....the tabs are one of my favorite features ;)

Yah mine too.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby JunqueMan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:44 am

You know what would be nice? A "Who's Online" feature like most other sites have. :idea: :wink:

Junque Man
JunqueMan

Postby LaX » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:47 am

/me wonders how hard did JMan try to look :wink:
LaX

Postby JunqueMan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:51 am

LaX wrote:mewonders how hard did JMan try to look :wink:

You know, I figured cream always rises to the top, so I never looked at the bottom of the forum's page... :oops: :lol:

Thanks Lax... 8)

Junque Man
JunqueMan

Postby LaX » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:52 am

But of course, the bottom left corner of the front page seems a bit empty. Surprise us ray :D
LaX

Postby Nuttyguy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:56 am

I dont really like it right now. To me, The front page seems way to crowded. I do like the tabs for the lounge/recent/popular, and some of the other things, but it just seems very crowded.

The last 4 articles at the top really make me gag. You can fit 2 words per line before it loops to the next line, aligned left. It doesnt go well with the rest of the page. Im not sure what would look better, but that could use some improvment.

However, I think its great you guys finally got around to releasing slyck 2.0, It'll grow on me, and Im sure over the next week things will get better. Thanks for running this awesome site.

edit 1:

looking at the front page, this is what I would like:

rather then having the last 4 articles take up that space at the top, make it 3, and extend them so each takes up 33% of the space rather then 4 taking up 25%. This will make them fit better I belive.

The old articles just below it could maybe use a border, similiar to what your using for "file-sharing news" and "tech news". Get rid of the small pictures, their just annoying. I think if you made the font a little smaller (same as filesharing/tech news), and had 6 articles rather then 4 it would look alot better and fit into the site more.

edit 2:
I love the right side bar, its perfect and beautiful. good job with that.
Nuttyguy

Postby Fez » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:27 pm

I am sure once I get used to seeing something new I wil adjust without incident.
Nice work folks...
And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around
So have a good drown, as you go down alone
...Dragged down by the stone.
Fez

Postby curzlgt » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:46 pm

first off, the front page is growing on me :) It does have a more polished look to it than before, and i like the tabs :)

I do have a couple observations and questions though....

A trend I have noticed since I started posting here....
Back when I registered, the Slyck News Section had several thousand more posts than the More File-Sharing News section. I think around 4 or 5 months ago the More File-Sharing News section passed the Slyck News section for total posts. Currently it stands at 34616 posts for MFSN and 30690 posts for SN. That leads me to 3 questions....

1) Does Adsence revenue tie into total posts at all?

2) The more people posting, the more people viewing, the more people clicking through, right?

3) Could revenues ultimatly be affected by the decrese in size of the MFSN section?

Some thing else I'm wondering..... Is the news submitter supposed to judge wether the piece is Web File-Sharing News or Web Tech News? Or is that still a Mod/Admin responsibility? The line between the two can be thin to non-existant at times?

Lastly, personally the first thing that brings me to Slyck is filesharing news, be it from original Slyck stories, or MFSN stories. The discussions generated in those areas are usually what keeps my eyes here as well. I am concerned that the quality and participation in the MFSN area will be diminished as a result of the smaller footprint and quicker turnaround the front page allows :(

I hope I'm wrong, and dont get me wrong, I really like, and often contribute to news on the perifery of filesharing, but I'm not sure it deserves eaqual footing with filesharing news :?:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby IceCube » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:32 am

It's my understanding that the web tech and web software news is the responsibility of the moderators. you won't have to worry about it. :)

Then theres the FS news being taken over by tech news. I don't really see that happening any time soon because the community here is well rooted in file-sharing and news around file-sharing. Admittedly, though, there's also a larger community out there that focuses on technology in general and file-sharing is merely a small aspect of it.

It reminds me of a news variation of the forums as seperated by program/network (eDonkey2000/Overnet, WinMX, eMule, NewsGroups, BitTorrent, Gnutella, Direct Connect, etc.) you might note that if you browse through these, there's actually generally a different group of people for each. Some users seem to post in certain areas of the forums out of habbit (I'm guessing) because this is their area of expertise. I think the same thing might happen with the tech news and file-sharing news. You'll have different people generaly posting in either one of these area's. Not saying there won't be those who go through multiple area's though, but some will only post in specific forums.

Having said that, I tend to view this as a new addition to Slyck where one area co-exists happily with another. One not overtaking the other - yin and yang. This is not to say the early phases of Slyck transformation will be without fault, but everyone will develope their own adaptations and find that Slyck has merely grown and become more diverse then it use to be... just my opinion though.
IceCube

PreviousNext

Return to Tell us what you think