Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

vBulletin

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

vBulletin

Postby eclectica » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:09 am

Would you want to switch the forum to vBulletin? The owned license is $160 plus $30 a year for access to the latest upgrades.

It would be a lot of work for SlyckRay but you would probably end up happier in the long run once you got used to it. You could import this forum into it so it's not like you would lose any posts or your database.

The problem besides the learning curve, mostly for SlyckRay, would be the funds to pay for the $160. If you decide you would like vBulletin and ask for help then maybe you could get it by way of PayPal donations. I know that I would send you a few dollars to help.

The reason I would like this site set up on vBulletin is because of its archive feature. All one has to do is run a website copier of the archive and download the forum in its entirety in the form of html files for each thread. Then people could periodically scan the archives here and save it so in case Slyck ever goes down, the content will be preserved. I routinely archive my own home forum dionysians.org here, and with 9000 posts I have created a .zip file that is only 2.7 MB in size. I estimate that this site here with its 170,000 posts could be archived into a 60 MB .zip file.

Unlike many other forums, the content of your forum is worth preserving and that is why I am particularly concerned.

(EDIT: changed link of archive on p2pjihad.org)
Last edited by eclectica on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
© copylefted
eclectica

Postby DaBlade » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:26 am

Screw the proprietary payware that is vBulletin, wait till phpBB3 is released, and save lots of cash.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby resueman » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:40 pm

isnt vbulletin written in php. whats the point of have a license for uncompiled code?
resueman

Postby loco.m » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:45 am

vb is alot more secure then phpbb ;) it's a nice board
Bluegrass Forums - Loco Macheen & Dewayn Bro's
Link2Share - DMOZ style link directory, free to add your sites
Acrylic on Plexiglass - Abstract Painting on plexiglass
loco.m

Postby IceCube » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:02 am

I certaintly enjoy PHPBB. Just ironing out one kink currently, but otherwise works perfectly for me (has personally installed one):)
IceCube

Return to Tell us what you think