Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Slashdot effect / Community relations

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Slashdot effect / Community relations

Postby curzlgt » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:44 pm

It's the slashdot effect, in full effect......

Quote:
Communities

When the targeted website has a community-based structure, the term can also refer to the secondary effect of having a large group of users suddenly setting up accounts and starting to participate in the community. While in some cases this has been considered a good thing, in others it is viewed with disdain by the prior members, as quite often the sheer number of new people brings a lot of the unwanted aspects of Slashdot along with it, such as incessant trolling, vandalism, and newbie-like behavior (see Slashdot trolling phenomena)

I am now convinced that any time a new group of refugees shows up here, and they see their former "home", family, or community, being bashed, we will see this phenomnon continue and likely multiply..... I do not envy the mods....

I will say though that I have come to realize that the "insulters" represent a very small minority.....
Its just that they are so vocal, and so quick to post their views and insults....

I ask, in all sincerity, should not all members, new or old, be held accountable to Forum Rules?

Quote:
7) No flaming, name calling, or general lamership. If someone is verbally abusive towards you, be an adult and ignore the other person. This is not real life, and all the name calling in the world will not settle your arguement.

And as I hate bitchin without hearing a solution....I propose the following....

All new members are somehow "forced" to read the rules before posting, an i agree, i do not agree thing....Refugees are often desperate and very impatient..... just expecting them to read the rules or catch onto Slyck community etiquette is unrealistic IMO.....
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby tarp404 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:41 am

Hi. I spent the last two minutes reading your post, and the last five minutes trying to figure out what your talking about, what you're quoting, why you're proposing "forcing" anyone to do anything, why you believe moderation does not work, or the core reason that a new member such as yourself would be so interested in such things.

Perhaps you'd care to elaborate?
tarp404

Postby curzlgt » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:27 pm

tarp404 wrote:Hi. I spent the last two minutes reading your post, and the last five minutes trying to figure out what your talking about, what you're quoting, why you're proposing "forcing" anyone to do anything, why you believe moderation does not work, or the core reason that a new member such as yourself would be so interested in such things.

Perhaps you'd care to elaborate?

Thanks for the reply tarp404.

Sorry for the confusion, and for the suggestion, if inappropriate. :oops: And sorry for the late responce, MLB playoffs and all.....GO CARDS! Yikes Yanks!

Iv'e just been bangin my head aginst the wall of late, when it comes to Slyck community relations. Mainly, relating to personal attacks between new members and long time members.........Diversity looms...:shock:

You asked for elaboration.... so here I go......

A few examples during the latest influx of new members from the WinMX community...

WinMX TB,TM,TE

WinMX Network Dead

WinMX Ends Ops

Resurrecting WinMX

Last WinMX thread example. See page 3, 53rd post for the complete context of my reason for starting this thread, my first at Slyck. I made a suggestion and got zero free back...... Anyway, I figured this was the correct place to make a suggestion, that may get feedback... I would of copied my whole post but i was rater long winded :oops:
WinMX n Google

A few more non-WinMX examples.....

Slyck on Slashdot

My first real postings in the PI To be BS, or not to be..... thread, mainly in defense of a new member who i felt was wrongly being accused, attacked, and insulted, for merely stating an opinion that went against prevailing opinions....Cheers Not_for_sure_but

Lastly....

This sure is cathartic..... :D

My main observations....In a nut shell.....JMO

1) The punch, counter punch, between the p2p community and the **AAs are bringing increased attention and membership to the overall p2p world and to Slycks ranks........

2) The Slashdot effect is occuring at Slyck because its position as a leader in filesharing news and knowledge....This will only increase more and more, the harder the content providers squeeze... ( wether through threat, legal action, lobbying, propoganda, or DRM)

3) There is great saftey and power in numbers. The more members with information, data or knowledge, the more power we all have. So, I really feel it is important to welcome new members, and guide them in community ettiquit, instead of attacking, insulting, or accusing them, when they have an opinion that is aginst the norm.....

Far from thinking that the moderation isn't working, I feel they do a supurb job. I just fear it my become overwelming in the future as more and more refugees show up here. Further, it takes away from thier valued contributions as news writers and information providers....Is it too much to ask that All members be more accountable to the FORUM RULES?

As far as my intrest in such matters, as a new member myself... Don't get me wrong, I enjoy lively debate, within fourm rules! however, insult exchanges waste my, and many members, time. :evil: I fear it will only get worse if not addressed and will likely drive members away..... or to contribute less frequently......see the "cesspool that is zeropaid"

whew...... very cathartic indeed :D

p.s. Moneyball triumps over the evil empire! :twisted:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:49 am

I think you spot on with your observations.

Sadly I'm not sure that an "I agree/I disagree" type of tick box is really going to make that much difference.

I think the balance of moderator intervention is about right, but there have also been times when I have found myself wondering if people get away with a bit too much.

I know that Tom will be watching this thread, so perhaps if anyone else has any thoughts, now is the time to air them?
Nick

Postby IceCube » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:43 am

The Realworld, when it was an ED2K link site at least, had programmed their forums so that if you were a member who hasn't viewed the rules, you were given a link to the rules and if you didn't read them, you weren't allowed to post anything. Every time there was anupdate, that was exactly what you had to do to post anything more.
IceCube

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:22 am

I remember that... or was it another site I remember? you know, how there were multiple questions after having read?

truth is though... the rules here are basic civility rules. They apply to real life as well, and everyone is perfectly aware of them. I don't think those who don't abide make a deliberate choice to disobey rules; rather, they make a deliberate choice to be rude. :roll:

Some months ago (or was it over a year already?) we came accross a whole wave of personal attacks as well, and the issue was discussed in the mod forum.

The result? A message from Ray in this forum (can't seem to find it now), followed by a lengthy thread discussing the pros and cons of being civil and keeping it cool, and a horde of members pointing out that being rude is just personal choice :!: :?:

so they way I feel is, unfortunately, some people just don't get it, and feel this is some sort of free space for them to free their chests from all their real-life frustrations. Others simply take it all so seriously they believe this is where their real life is happening.

Unfortunately, there is not much one can do except moderate more or actually start policing the site. Reading the rules or not is irrevelant.
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:41 am

You cannot force anyone to read the forum rules.

Its like the stipulation LimeWire has prior to downloading their software.

"Will you use LimeWire to infringe on copyrights?

(circle one)

Yes No Maybe"

I am not too concerned with minor infractions, which tend to be a majority. Usually, a simple private message fixes that.

I am concerned about flaming, and people's inexplicable desire to retaliate and further degrade a forum discussion. Regardless if they are responsible for the initial flame or the retaliation flame, in my eyes they are both responsible.

That is my number one concern. People need to realize if they simply let a flame go, it will go away all on its own. Tell a mod or an admin, we'll take care of it. Don't take the situation into your own hands.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby carcassfan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:11 pm

the rules here are selectively enforced. It all depends on who you are....guess thats just part of life :wink:
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
carcassfan

Return to Tell us what you think