Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Problem Changing Avatars

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Problem Changing Avatars

Postby thejynxed » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Having a wee bit of problem with avatars. I can't upload any, any that I host from gravatar.com only get a red x shown under my name, same with photobucket. None of the avatars in the gallery appear (period, even to select them). No option to upload appears. Can't resize my avatar now heh, can only direct link it from a website, and it's not my first choice avatar anyhow. Using Firefox 1.02. Any ideas? (I also have the same problem happening in IE.) I can see other people's avatars just fine, just not my own after I attempted to change it.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:56 pm

I think most people only link to other sites.
As for resizing; you could to do it manually on your computer unless they allow you to specify when you link it here....
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby thejynxed » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:57 pm

Well, I am clueless with html or any of that rot, so I have no idea how to resize a direct link .jpg.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby countrypirate » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:05 am

To save an image such as a jpeg right click select save picture as. save the picture to a specified folder such as my pictures go to the folder and right click on the picture you want and select edit. This will open it up windows paint or other such type of program .Go to the choices across the top and click images scroll down and click attributes. It will give you a popup box witha box showing width and height you can type in the size you want. Most of the free sites i've found will only allow a max of 100x100 pixels. Go to your hosting site click upload img. or avatar etc. and it should create a link for you. Right click on the link created and choose copy then paste it in the box for slyck and hit submit that should do it . Also i've had better luck with gifs rather than jpgs and some hosting sites dont accept jpgs. Hope this helps.
countrypirate

Postby SaberBlaze » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:01 pm

i can't even put an avatar
it says the limit is 80 x 80 pixels but i notice some people here having 100 x 100 pixel avatars

i found one that had 80 x 85 and it wouldn't let me put it :evil:
SaberBlaze

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:14 am

Vorbis wrote:i can't even put an avatar
it says the limit is 80 x 80 pixels but i notice some people here having 100 x 100 pixel avatars

i found one that had 80 x 85 and it wouldn't let me put it :evil:

The limit is 80x80 for uploaded avatars, but uploading of them is disabled since they would take up too much server space and bandwidth. We just ask that you keep to a reasonable size (say 100x100 or less) so as not to affect the page layout.

You can link to an image on another site if you wish, but you may find it better to save the image and host it on your own web sites, since many sites do not allow remote linking of images. Also, if you host it yourself, you can resize it, if necessary, beforehand.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby JunqueMan » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:25 pm

Can anyone suggest a good avatar hosting site, preferably free or at least reasonable in price?

Junque Man
JunqueMan

Postby countrypirate » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:37 pm

these are the ones i usehttp://www.avataravenue.com/
hope this helps :D
Last edited by countrypirate on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
countrypirate

Postby SlyckScratch » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:41 pm

JunqueMan wrote:Can anyone suggest a good avatar hosting site, preferably free or at least reasonable in price?

Junque Man

I use http://www.imageshack.us

It works most of the time and is nice and free
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby JunqueMan » Sun May 01, 2005 6:16 am

countrypirate wrote:these are the ones i usehttp://www.avataravenue.com/
hope this helps :D

Thanks! Seems like a decent site and is working. :)

Junque Man
JunqueMan

Postby JunqueMan » Sun May 01, 2005 6:25 am

SlyckScratch wrote:I use http://www.imageshack.us

It works most of the time and is nice and free

Thanks also! Will keep it in mind incase I have problems with the other site. :)

Now to look for an even better avatar! :D

Junque Man
JunqueMan

Postby SlyckScratch » Sun May 01, 2005 6:45 am

If you can't find one, let me know and i'll make you one if you PM me
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby JunqueMan » Mon May 02, 2005 5:35 am

SlyckScratch wrote:If you can't find one, let me know and i'll make you one if you PM me

Thanks! I may take you up on the offer.

Like the "Bobbing Music Apple Head" avatar...cool. :)

Junque Man
JunqueMan

Return to Tell us what you think