Slyck Chatbox - And More

mIRC questions

Discussion of current popular networks, clients and methods of IRC
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

mIRC questions

Postby kazaa » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:31 am

Hi,

What is mIRC? Is it hard to use? I tried it many of years ago but didn't understand it. Is it more like commands i need to know? I don't know commands. Is mIRC better then BitTorrents or the same or is BitTorrents better then mIRC? I really want to start using mIRC.
kazaa

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:11 am

mIRC is an IRC client program. i'm confused. how can you really want to use something without even knowing what it is? :?
MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Re:

Postby LANjackal » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:17 am

MrFredPFL wrote:mIRC is an IRC client program. i'm confused. how can you really want to use something without even knowing what it is? :?
He probably just heard a lot about it.

@ OP: mIRC is an IRC client program that you can turn into a download program via an add-on script. mIRC costs $20 but the script is free. The IRC learning curve is STEEP, though.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Re: mIRC questions

Postby TcE » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:58 pm

<<I Just Read my PM's>> - - - YEY
TcE

Re: Re:

Postby kazaa » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:04 pm

LANjackal wrote:
MrFredPFL wrote:mIRC is an IRC client program. i'm confused. how can you really want to use something without even knowing what it is? :?
He probably just heard a lot about it.

@ OP: mIRC is an IRC client program that you can turn into a download program via an add-on script. mIRC costs $20 but the script is free. The IRC learning curve is STEEP, though.

So the mIRC client is not free? I thought it use to be? Right? I don't have a credit card to pay for it. I could probably download it. How do i learn mIRC?
kazaa

Postby Asuran » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:54 pm

LANjackal wrote:@ OP: mIRC is an IRC client program that you can turn into a download program via an add-on script. mIRC costs $20 but the script is free. The IRC learning curve is STEEP, though.

You don't need any scripts, plain mIRC will do fine (and you can use it without paying, or use a crack). It's also not that steep that youd need capital letters, I taught my 55 yo father to download with it.

OP: It's better than BT because you don't need to share which means that there is practically no risk of getting sued, its worse than BT because it's a little bit more complicated.

Basically, install mIRC, surf to packetnews.com, search for a file, click the pack number, give /msg bot-name xdcc send #pack-number command on the channel. In optimal case, you are now in a queue for the file, and the bot will send it to you when it is your turn. Read the channel topic for more instructions and there's possibly also a separate chat channel where u can ask for help, search files, etc.
Asuran

Postby kazaa » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:27 pm

Asuran wrote:
LANjackal wrote:@ OP: mIRC is an IRC client program that you can turn into a download program via an add-on script. mIRC costs $20 but the script is free. The IRC learning curve is STEEP, though.

You don't need any scripts, plain mIRC will do fine (and you can use it without paying, or use a crack). It's also not that steep that youd need capital letters, I taught my 55 yo father to download with it.

OP: It's better than BT because you don't need to share which means that there is practically no risk of getting sued, its worse than BT because it's a little bit more complicated.

Basically, install mIRC, surf to packetnews.com, search for a file, click the pack number, give /msg bot-name xdcc send #pack-number command on the channel. In optimal case, you are now in a queue for the file, and the bot will send it to you when it is your turn. Read the channel topic for more instructions and there's possibly also a separate chat channel where u can ask for help, search files, etc.

Asuran,

I just sent you a PM explaining to you this is difficult.
kazaa

Postby poison17 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:57 pm

mirc is old , damn.. why do you want to use it ? I use mirc for downloading about 10 years ago, get over it.

and is also free, google it, and you're done !
poison17

Postby ntscuser » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:02 pm

poison17 wrote:mirc is old , damn.. why do you want to use it ? I use mirc for downloading about 10 years ago, get over it.

and is also free, google it, and you're done !
Trialware really. Once the trial period ends you have to wait for the nag message to clear before using. It took me that long to get into a chat room with names I recognised. I've never read such shit before in my life!
ntscuser

Postby midbc » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:03 pm

you can run across a lot of people that are A-holes using mirc when trying to download things
i gave up on using it as my method of downloading years ago there were to many disconnects long queue's
or the person i was downloading from would be a dick and quit the download at 90% finished

bit torrent or newsgroups is the way to go if you want to download stuff
midbc

Postby ntscuser » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Can someone please tell me what a + sign next to my name in an irc channel means? Yes, I really am that dim! :oops:
ntscuser

Return to Internet Relay Chat