Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

XDCC Dead?

Discussion of current popular networks, clients and methods of IRC
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

XDCC Dead?

Postby LANjackal » Sun May 20, 2007 12:51 am

Is XDCC dead? Nothing seems to be happening on the IRC scene lately, besides the death of IRCspy. Since they developed AutoXDCC, I'm just wondering if that's all dead or if another site/client combo has emerged/exists.

Thanks,
LJ
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby HEAT84 » Sun May 20, 2007 2:21 am

Probably because of BT and Newsgroups becoming more popular, IRC is getting forgotten. :cry: I used to get lots of stuff via IRC alot a few years ago. Unless you know a private secret channel, or there's something rare that you can only find via IRC, its easier to get stuff via BT and NG's. Although I don't use it anymore, I'll keep it as a resource in case I'm looking for something rare.

Maybe the next time I DL a movie I'll get it via IRC just so I can dust the cob webs off of MIrc (and my IRC knowledge). :wink:
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby napho » Sun May 20, 2007 2:29 am

I don't think it's a popularity contest. It's not like Shrek trying to be more popular than Spider-Man. The IRC channels weren't necessarily thrilled with the rise of those search engines.Things might be for the best as they are right now.
napho

xdcc not dead

Postby MookeyMookerson » Sun May 20, 2007 2:59 am

xdcc is definately not dead.
packetnews
I've always liked it better than ircspy anyway.
For god's sake do not visit it using IE though.

to get the irc links to work in firefox google: "firefox packetnews"

(I would post the link but it won't let me)

Here's what you have to do in three easy steps:
1) Type "about:config" without the quotes in the address bar of FireFox.
2) Type "signed" without the quotes in the Filter field
3) Double click the entry (there should only be one) to make the value 'true'

(what do i have to do to get rid of "Sorry, you do not yet have permission to post URL's/Links")

--first time poster long time reader
Last edited by MookeyMookerson on Sun May 20, 2007 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MookeyMookerson

Postby venussuz » Sun May 20, 2007 3:13 am

Fully agreed, Mookey - IRC is alive and well and still the best source for certain types of content. I found that out several months ago when a regular poster to a newsgroup stopped posting, but left a trail of bread crumbs leading to an IRC channel. mIRC has changed in the 7 or 8 years since I used it, but the scripts are better, the people I spoke with more knowledgeable and the content is very much there. There's just a higher learning curve with IRC than newsgroups because picking and choosing generally isn't as easily done. Likely the web apps are being fed less often, perhaps to discourage use, but likely because of the time and resources required to do so.
venussuz

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun May 20, 2007 12:38 pm

hi mookey, and welcome to slyck :)

just be patient about posting links. it's a spam protection mod we have in place here.

i'm curious about one thing tho. why do you say this?

MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Postby LANjackal » Sun May 20, 2007 1:17 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:i'm curious about one thing tho. why do you say this?

He's probably referring to pop-ups, the bane of most XDCC sites. But then again, IE7 handles those pretty well.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

IE

Postby MookeyMookerson » Mon May 21, 2007 5:14 pm

yeah packetnews has a shiton of pop-ups and potential spyware to be downloaded on the site. Using Firefox with adblock-plus is really the only way I've found to be 100% pop-up free on that site...then again I haven't messed with IE7 much so maybe they ramped up the pop-up blocker in comparison with IE6
MookeyMookerson

Re: IE

Postby LANjackal » Mon May 21, 2007 8:02 pm

MookeyMookerson wrote:then again I haven't messed with IE7 much so maybe they ramped up the pop-up blocker in comparison with IE6

The only drawback with IE7 is that it takes longer to start up than IE6, and if you're on XP, the UI takes some getting used to since it was designed for Vista. FF's still the better option, but IE7 will handle just about anything you throw at it with aplomb.
LANjackal

Postby lordfoul » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:41 pm

E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby starla3366 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:02 pm

I haven't used IRC since I discovered Newsgroups.... been a while. But WTF happened to Gogloom?? Last time i used them for a search was about a month ago. XDCC search is gone???!!! That's horrible, as gogloom i found to be the only reliable XDCC search engine. PacketNews was good but only if I was using XDCCBrowser. I would never go to the website, and god forbid if I had to I definetly would never go there using IE!!!
starla3366

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:20 pm

lordfoul wrote:XDCC Install Guide

Thanks a lot for this, LF :D
LANjackal

Postby Watain » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:41 am

thanks lordfoul...might try this just for the hell of it...i used to use irc to download some stuff some years ago
Watain

Postby LANjackal » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:35 pm

Watain wrote:

thanks lordfoul...might try this just for the hell of it...i used to use irc to download some stuff some years ago

It works really well, I assure you :)
LANjackal

Postby napho » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:52 pm

LANjackal wrote:It works really well, I assure you :)

Some might be spoiled and won't tolerate a bot that starts to download at 3K/sec and disconnects, or one that can't even begin the dl, or a bot that goes offline, or a long queue.
napho

Postby LANjackal » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:27 pm

napho wrote:Some might be spoiled and won't tolerate a bot that starts to download at 3K/sec and disconnects, or one that can't even begin the dl, or a bot that goes offline, or a long queue.

I guess it depends on the material you're seeking. I grab albums, and everything I've requested since I followed LF's guide has come through pretty fast and pretty well.
LANjackal

Postby Damolee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:59 am

Ahhh, I remember the days...

New release pops up... get excited, wap the command in.... " Queue position 599/600" .....wait over night, start downloading... you leave it, come back ....it's cut off halfway through. LoL

I honestly believe it's down to newsgroups becoming more accessible and user friendly now. The clients are improving, so are the monthly fees involved.
Come and join us.

http://www.1337-nzbs.com
Damolee

Postby OSS » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:05 am

Damolee wrote:New release pops up... get excited, wap the command in.... " Queue position 599/600" .....wait over night, start downloading... you leave it, come back ....it's cut off halfway through. LoL

Always the way :D I do miss it :cry:
OSS

XDCC Dead?

Postby Jevpop » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:52 am

XDCC is not dead its great for new content ,im using a program called conversation for mac ,it has a built in channel search and a XDCC file search which means you dont have to use irc search sites which are full of nasty pop ups, and with one click dowload you cant go wrong .I dont think this program is being supported at them momment but it has lots o features. If you are not used to IRC its a good place to start , I don no if there is a program with the same features for pc may be someone else may help with that. This program is great if your are new to IRC it makes it simple :D
Jevpop

Return to Internet Relay Chat