Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

Attention IRCers!

Discussion of current popular networks, clients and methods of IRC
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Attention IRCers!

Postby Beffyluv » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:56 pm

Yes, this is another IRC uploading and security thread but please bare with me. 8)

I know you IRCers are very experienced people that use IRC to download and socialize relentlessly. I want to do the same, but i'm worried about 1 uploading and 2 secuirty. If i use IRC i know im going to socialize in order to get what i want. But getting what you want in IRC also means uploading too, right? IRC is like edonkey2000 in the way that the more uploads you make to the faster you go, right? I'm fine with that i bet i have some cool files some people may want, actually i know i do :wink:, but IRC is not to secure with uploading, right? I know it's one of the more secure p2p networks but when it comes to uploading it's just as exposed as everything else, right?

Alright and now secondly how is privacy on IRC, i acutally don't care about privacy because i want to download freaky deaky porn, but just because of the way i am i wouldn't even want my friends in like AIM that i got to school with knowing my ip. You can hide your ip in mIRC i know, and you can even put mirc through a proxy client like tor or something but what are the chances of third parties getting your ip adress? And also i know in order to use IRC you basically gotta talk to people and join groups but how well can you trust a group server to not keep your ip? I mean you guys can see where i'm coming from here, right? I don't want anyone to have access to my ip number, and possibly like find out when i'm online and crap, cause that's just creepy.
Beffyluv
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:57 pm

Postby Trev0r269 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:11 pm

Having good stuff to share will help in any p2p that requires human contact. You have to judge your own risk on irc in a way.

1. Who am I uploading to? Are they people I've spoken to, or "know"? or How large is the channel I'm uploading in?
2. What am I uploading? Is it some fresh new unreleased movie/cd/program?
3. How much am I uploading? Is it 250 gb of squirrel pr0n a month? :(

These simple guidelines might help you assess the situation.

There is an irc command for obtaining someones IP address, however that usually just yields a hostmask. Ex. *!*@insert.ispname.here
I'm not very up to date on any newer(lol), high level or complicated irc attacking/ip obtaining techniques, but I'm sure another informed person on slyck is.

As far as a server holding you IP...You're allowed to connect to the server and thats all their IP logs say. Any file sharing traffic is routed from user to user, not through the server. The only reason I'd be scared for my IP is because I've been on a private server (an irc friend's computer) for years and he'd prank me.
Trev0r269
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Slow - hio

Postby jplus503 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:33 pm

What's wrong with squirrel pr0n?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.
User avatar
jplus503
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:14 am

Postby Beffyluv » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:11 am

Trev0r269 wrote:Having good stuff to share will help in any p2p that requires human contact. You have to judge your own risk on irc in a way.

1. Who am I uploading to? Are they people I've spoken to, or "know"? or How large is the channel I'm uploading in?
2. What am I uploading? Is it some fresh new unreleased movie/cd/program?
3. How much am I uploading? Is it 250 gb of squirrel pr0n a month? :(

These simple guidelines might help you assess the situation.

There is an irc command for obtaining someones IP address, however that usually just yields a hostmask. Ex. *!*@insert.ispname.here
I'm not very up to date on any newer(lol), high level or complicated irc attacking/ip obtaining techniques, but I'm sure another informed person on slyck is.

As far as a server holding you IP...You're allowed to connect to the server and thats all their IP logs say. Any file sharing traffic is routed from user to user, not through the server. The only reason I'd be scared for my IP is because I've been on a private server (an irc friend's computer) for years and he'd prank me.


Oh, so all a server would say is that your IP was at the server but it's just about impossible for anyone else to see what you did, or took from, or uploaded to the server? And other than that you really just gotta use your brain so it seems.

However what you did is kinda obvious if you connected to a server that explicity says "HARDCORE SQUIRELL PRON, WAIT TILL YA SEE DEEZ NUTS".

All other p2p things work just about the same way though, right? The server see's and logs your i.p. but depending on much more factors that server or some third party can take down your info, correct?
Beffyluv
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:57 pm

Postby Trev0r269 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:37 pm

Beffyluv wrote:
Trev0r269 wrote:Having good stuff to share will help in any p2p that requires human contact. You have to judge your own risk on irc in a way.

1. Who am I uploading to? Are they people I've spoken to, or "know"? or How large is the channel I'm uploading in?
2. What am I uploading? Is it some fresh new unreleased movie/cd/program?
3. How much am I uploading? Is it 250 gb of squirrel pr0n a month? :(

These simple guidelines might help you assess the situation.

There is an irc command for obtaining someones IP address, however that usually just yields a hostmask. Ex. *!*@insert.ispname.here
I'm not very up to date on any newer(lol), high level or complicated irc attacking/ip obtaining techniques, but I'm sure another informed person on slyck is.

As far as a server holding you IP...You're allowed to connect to the server and thats all their IP logs say. Any file sharing traffic is routed from user to user, not through the server. The only reason I'd be scared for my IP is because I've been on a private server (an irc friend's computer) for years and he'd prank me.


Oh, so all a server would say is that your IP was at the server but it's just about impossible for anyone else to see what you did, or took from, or uploaded to the server? And other than that you really just gotta use your brain so it seems.

However what you did is kinda obvious if you connected to a server that explicity says "HARDCORE SQUIRELL PRON, WAIT TILL YA SEE DEEZ NUTS".

All other p2p things work just about the same way though, right? The server see's and logs your i.p. but depending on much more factors that server or some third party can take down your info, correct?


If you're uploading to person B, then person B knows what you're doing. Same goes for downloading. You connect to the irc server and the chat text you send is routed through the irc server. File transfers are not routed through the irc server. If you go into person A's fileserver, and download something, the connect is from you to person A.

Using your brain is a key idea when it comes to doing anything.

On other p2p networks, and I hesitate to call irc a p2p bc its just chat with file sharing features, you can just search part of the network with one box and a keyword (scratch and sniff searching). On irc it is not really as easy. on IRC you need to ask people, or look at fserve adds and the like. The person uploading has to be advertising.

I sort of lumped too much info together, sorry for any lack of clarity.
Trev0r269
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Slow - hio

Postby Beffyluv » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:13 pm

No it's cool i don't think im interested in irc anymore, really im just another newbie looking for the p2p method that suits him the most.
Beffyluv
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:57 pm

Re: Attention IRCers!

Postby Asuran » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:20 pm

Beffyluv wrote:Yes, this is another IRC uploading and security thread but please bare with me. 8)

I know you IRCers are very experienced people that use IRC to download and socialize relentlessly. I want to do the same, but i'm worried about 1 uploading and 2 secuirty. If i use IRC i know im going to socialize in order to get what i want.


Not necessary. You can just leech off of public channels.

But getting what you want in IRC also means uploading too, right?


No, that's the beauty of it.

IRC is like edonkey2000 in the way that the more uploads you make to the faster you go, right?


No. IRC bots simply send you files you request from them. If there's queue your request will be put in the end of the line and the file is sent when it's your turn.

IRC is not to secure with uploading, right? I know it's one of the more secure p2p networks but when it comes to uploading it's just as exposed as everything else, right?


Yes, in technical sense it is just as exposed as any other common network. In practise it may be less monitored byt I wouldn't count on it.
Asuran
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:40 am
Location: Finland

Postby Beffyluv » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:03 am

Sorry to bumb but I figured I should give thanks for the information especially the last two post. It's just the nice thing to do after you get information you couldn't find that you looked for.
Beffyluv
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:57 pm


Return to Internet Relay Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com