Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

RIAA's "download equals lost sale" theory rejected by federal court in Virginia

Discuss file-sharing news from other sites. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

RIAA's "download equals lost sale" theory rejected by federal court in Virginia

Postby RayBeckerman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:12 pm

Story : http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html#3050094597

In the context of a restitution motion, in United States of America v. Dove, the RIAA's "download equals lost sale" theory has been flatly rejected.

In a 16-page opinion, District Judge James P. Jones, sitting in the Western Disrict of Virginia, denied the RIAA's request for restitution, holding the RIAA's reasoning to be unsound:

"It is a basic principle of economics that as price increases, demand decreases. Customers who download music and movies for free would not necessarily spend money to acquire the same product. Like the court in Hudson, I am skeptical that customers would pay $7.22 or $19 for something they got for free. Certainly 100% of the illegal downloads through Elite Torrents did not result in the loss of a sale, but both Lionsgate and RIAA estimate their losses based on this faulty assumption."

RayBeckerman

Re: RIAA's

Postby Knucklez » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:22 pm

uh oh.. what are they going to do with all them statistics? i'm sure they'll drum up some other sob story why they need more money when all they have to do is embrace the digital world instead of sh*tting on it. :wink:
kiss the kitty..

Lossless is to lovers, what mp3 is to bitches ! You think you have pleasure but fulfillment is not there...
Knucklez

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:24 pm

good reading. thanks, ray. this is major. (not sure if i'll call it epic yet :lol: )
MrFredPFL

Postby RayBeckerman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:05 pm

I agree. I think it's huge. It shoots down their defense of the outlandish statutory damages awards they seek, an issue that will be played out in Capitol v. Thomas, SONY v. Tenenbaum, and other cases attacking the damages theory.
RayBeckerman

Postby olephart » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Hahahahahah great joke, guys! You got me. You got me real good! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait, you mean this shit's for real? :shock:
olephart

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 pm

About time this issue was addressed by the courts.

cheers Ray :toast:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Return to File-Sharing News