Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

New RIAA Lawsuit Defense Tactic: Admit Liability, Challenge the Law

Discuss file-sharing news from other sites. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

New RIAA Lawsuit Defense Tactic: Admit Liability, Challenge the Law

Postby curzlgt » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:43 pm

Story : http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/07/new-riaa-lawsui.html

Here's a unique defense to a Recording Industry Association of America file sharing lawsuit: Admit liability and challenge the law under which you're being sued.

That's what a Bronx woman did Monday in New York federal court (.pdf). Denise Barker is accused of file sharing eight songs on the Kazaa network in 2004. If found liable, she faces fines under the Copyright Act of $750 to $150,000 per song.

Barker's attorney, Ray Beckerman, admitted the woman file shared and challenged the constitutionality of the Copyright Act, the law under which the RIAA sued Barker and thousands of others. The fines the act authorizes for each download is unconstitutionally excessive and against U.S. Supreme Court precedent, Beckerman said.

Beckerman, who writes the Recording Industry vs The People blog, estimated its costs the industry $3.50 per download, meaning the penalties could exceed thousands of times the actual injury to the industry. Rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court and other courts say financial punishments exceeding a 9-to-1 ratio are unconstitutional.

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Re: New RIAA Lawsuit Defense Tactic: Admit Liability, Challenge

Postby Downloader » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:47 pm

Go Ray! fight for some REAL change! :twisted:
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby Terrian » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:11 am

that will bugger the **AA if the defense proves successful ...
Terrian

Postby Captain America » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:23 am

If there is a law that says "Rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court and other courts say financial punishments exceeding a 9-to-1 ratio are unconstitutional." All Mr. Beckerman has to do is prove that ratio, and it should be case closed.
My Machine:Intel I7 @ 2.7ghz| MSI X58 Platinum SLI Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard MS-7522| 2x Hitachi 500gig internal| Geforce gtx 260 core 216|SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 2x| dvd lightscribe|Vista 64bit
Captain America

Postby TorrentMama » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:56 am

" All Mr. Beckerman has to do is prove that ratio, and it should be case closed.

Should is the key word in that statement. unfortunately what should happen and what does happen are often very different..

but of course, I have faith in the always sexy mind of Mr. Beckerman. :wink:

this is a long overdue challange....

If he wins this one, I'm going to send him some business cards that read:
Ray Beckerman, RIAA Death Knell

can you imagine if she's found liable and has to write the RIAA a check for like 6 dollars. roflmao. bastards probably would still demand certified funds. 6 bucks to the RIAA - legendary.. sexiest check ever written.
Lionel Hutz, court-appointed attorney. I'll be defending you on the charge of... Murder One! Wow! Even if I lose, I'll be famous!
TorrentMama

Postby liquidmonkey » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:26 pm

this is very very long overdue although had no idea one could even challenge the stupid fee's they wish u2 pay.

great work on this attorney and i hope that he wins.
i mean, that would put an end to their 'bully and fear' campaign that has gone on for a few years now.

hahaha, 9 times 3.50 is nothing ALTHOUGH, i've noticed in the past that if someone gets caught downloading a few thousand songs the RIAA only goes after the person for a few dozen. if this case goes through, the RIAA will most likely change its tune and go for the whole nine yards if u know what i mean.
Want to buy a HOUSE ? Parents are getting divorced and they need to sell to get on with their lives.

HOUSE is now SOLD, wooohoooo!!!
liquidmonkey

Postby Paladwyn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:25 am

liquidmonkey wrote:hahaha, 9 times 3.50 is nothing ALTHOUGH, i've noticed in the past that if someone gets caught downloading a few thousand songs the RIAA only goes after the person for a few dozen. if this case goes through, the RIAA will most likely change its tune and go for the whole nine yards if u know what i mean.

The thing is the RIAA can only go after the songs that they can either prove and more importantly, only songs they have the right to protect. So, out of 1000 of those songs, maybe only a few dozen of them are RIAA supported, the rest...they don't care about.

Sorry, they do CARE about, and would love to sue you over them and reap all the money for them, but that would be against the law.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:32 pm

TorrentMama wrote:but of course, I have faith in the always sexy mind of Mr. Beckerman. :wink:

I bet it's been a loooong time since anyway said this about Ray's mind! :lol:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Return to File-Sharing News