Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

EFF tests agree with AP: Comcast is forging packets to interfere with user traffic

Discuss file-sharing news from other sites. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

EFF tests agree with AP: Comcast is forging packets to interfere with user traffic

Postby IceCube » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:11 am

Story : http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2007/10/eff-tests-agree-ap-comcast-forging-packets-

This morning the Associated Press reported that Comcast is interfering with users ability to run file sharing applications over its network.

Great... just great...
IceCube

Re: EFF tests agree with AP: Comcast is forging packets to inter

Postby enigmax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:26 am

yep..'great' that they finally caught up with what we were saying in August ;)
enigmax

Postby IceCube » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:30 am

No offense, but I'm wondering if Comcast saw the controversy about them in August and got ideas.
IceCube

Postby enigmax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:33 am

Comcast saw our posts and decided to do what we said they did, after we said it, but back-dated? :shock:

No offense taken :lol:
enigmax

Postby Repzak » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:52 am

enigmax wrote:yep..'great' that they finally caught up with what we were saying in August ;)

But unlike the discussion here they've actually tested and verified it in a very methodical and well documented way, which does make a major difference when accusing someone of doing something they deny :wink: I'm VERY curious how Comcast will deal with this now - it's becoming a major story, and it'll just keep growing the longer they simply deny it.
Repzak

Postby ejonesss » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:13 am

if i was the one writing the p2p software i would fully encrypt the protocol packets with an authentication system and multi level of redundancy so even if they crack some of the data it can still work.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby hedgem » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:58 am

Yea, they have a bait and switch scheme involving internet packets. Supposed service people are paying for is being baited and switched with false product (that isn't the service they have been advertising to pay for, for years). They are dishonest.
hedgem

Postby xrmb » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:47 am

ejonesss wrote:if i was the one writing the p2p software i would fully encrypt the protocol packets with an authentication system and multi level of redundancy so even if they crack some of the data it can still work.

all they need to-do is stop the hand-shake, which might be hard to encrypt. So far they are not so smart, or maybe more blunt, every packet that looks like BT causes reset. Soon comcast will install a server in the green box in front of your house and will filter even better ;) (Thats still cheaper than upgrading your cable ; )
xrmb

Postby Wham » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:30 pm

The way I see it, if Comcast gets away with it, all the other cable companies will follow. The war against filesharing has gone into it's second stage.
Wham

Postby Drake » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:04 pm

enigmax wrote:Comcast saw our posts and decided to do what we said they did, after we said it, but back-dated? :shock:

No offense taken :lol:

Not only does Comcast get ideas from P2P news sites, they also take their customers opinions into consideration. When their customers tell them they want true unlimited bandwidth, Comcast replies by instituting invisible caps. If the cap is invisible then it's practically unlimited as far as you can see so everyone is happy.
Drake

Return to File-Sharing News